The Centre for Energy Research was established in January 2012 on the basis of two former independent institutions, Institute of Isotopes and the KFKI Atomic Energy Research Institute.
KFKI Atomic Energy Research Institute
The activities of the institute started in in the 1950's. That time AEKI was part of the Central Research Institute for Physics (KFKI). AEKI became independent on January 1, 1992.
Experimental work has been always emphasized. Experiments were performed from the fifties to the eighties on several critical assemblies. Experiments on a thermohydraulic loop started in the seventies and are still running. Small scale experiments on severe accidents are running since the early nineties.
AEKI has almost 200 employees, among them about 100 high level educated scientists. The main research areas of AEKI are reactor physics, thermal hydraulics, fuel behaviour studies, material sciences, related aspects of informatics (simulators, core monitoring, etc), health physics, environmental investigations, nuclear electronics and chemistry.
AEKI is the technical support organisation (TSO) of NPP Paks and key player in the power-upgrade, safety, life extension and maintenance activity of the utility. The main directions of the Institute activities are the improvement of efficiency and safety of nuclear reactors, licence extension, participating in the international collaborations established for the development of generation four nuclear reactors.
The institute operates the 10 MW Budapest Research Reactor, providing the scientific community of Europe (Budapest Neutron Centre) with research possibility for neutron physics and it's applications. The research reactor supplies Hungary with radioactive isotopes, mainly used by medical applications.
Institute of Isotopes
in Hungary, the routine application of radioisotopes started in 1954, based on imported items from the USSR. To handle and administer the materials, Distribution Department of Isotopes was founded in 1959, which had the name Institute of Isotopes in 1961. In 1967 the Institute became the part of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. In mid 80's the number of employees reached about 430. The commercial unit was separated in 1984 with 50 staff members, forming IZINTA Ltd. In 1993, two other Laboratories became independent under the name of Institute of Isotopes Ltd, with 180 staff members, while 150 research personel remained within the Academy.
Between 1998-2005 the institute was part of the Chemical Research Center. In 2005 the independent status was restored and it was operating once again as Institute of Isotopes between 2006-2011.
Institute of Isotopes is a technical support organisation (TSO) of the Hungarian Atomic Energy Authority (OAH).